Rishi Sunak says 64 million meals Eat Out has enjoyed to date, to help
Thursday, August 27, 2020
More than 64 million meals have been eaten nationwide since the "Eat Out to Help Out" program opened in early August.
Recent finance ministry figures show that in the first three weeks it was used more than 64 million times by "Eat Out to Help Out."
Additionally, OpenTable data revealed that UK restaurant audiences in the third week of the programme were 61% higher on average than on the same days last year, on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
No vouchers are required, with the firm deducting 50% of the invoice up to a maximum of £10 per person and then claiming it back from the Exchequer.
The main daily increase from Monday to Wednesday was 12%, up from 41% during the first and second weeks.
The Treasury Department said 84.000 restaurants are now participating in the program, which will close on August 31.
It is hoped that the success of the program in encouraging people to eat will help ensure that 1.8 million hospitality jobs are created and maintained.
In July, however, the Institute of Fiscal Studies predicted that the scheme would most likely result in a "giveaway" to those who are able to eat well.