The Cateys 2021 took place this Tuesday at Grosvenor House, a JW Marriott hotel, to celebrate the 'industry's resilience and those who strive for excellence'. Some even call it the Oscars of the hospitality industry. Moreover, what makes it significant, is that the winners are nominated, selected and rewarded by their peers.
The 2021 Cateys Awards
This year's Cateys were especially important to recognise the innovation and agility that the sector had to prove. And last night, the winners of multiple categories within the industry celebrated their achievements.
Firstly, The Lifetime Achievement Award went to Alastair Storey, the chairman and chief executive of Westbury Street Holdings. Moreover, he was rewarded for his passion and enthusiasm that helped him to create one of the top businesses today.
Secondly, the Chef Award went to Andrew Wong - the owner and head chef of A Wong in London. Moreover, it's the first Chinese restaurant in the world outside Asia to win two Michelin stars in the previous year.
Thirdly, Angela Hartnett was awarded the Special Award for her success as a chef, restaurateur, author, television personality and philanthropist. Moreover, other winners included Pierre Gagnaire and Mourad Mazouz of the International Outstanding Achievement Award; Gary Usher, winner of Restaurateur of the Year – Independent, while Philip Eeles, Tom Barton and Dorian Waite of Honest Burgers for Group.
However, before I list all the winners, a big congratulations to all awarded and shortlisted in the Catey 2021 awards! You all showcased how the hospitality industry survives thanks to passionate, driven and devoted people and even a global pandemic can't change that! In other words, in our eyes, you're all winners!
List of All Catey 2021Winners
- Accessibility Award - Hotel Brooklyn, Manchester
- Best Employer Award - PPHE Hotel Group
- The Best Marketing Campaign Award - Rick Stein Group
- Best Use of Technology Award - 67 Pall Mall, London
- Chef Award - Andrew Wong
- Education and Training Award - Murray Chapman, A Passion to Inspire
- Foodservice Caterer Award - Allister Richards, CH&Co
- Health and Nutrition Award - Eurest
- Hotel of the Year - Independent - The Fife Arms, Aberdeenshire
- Hotel of the Year – Group - The Berkeley, London
- International Outstanding Achievement Award - Pierre Gagnaire and Mourad Mazouz
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Alastair Storey
- Manager of the Year - Joanne Taylor-Stagg, the Athenaeum Hotel & Residences, London
- Menu of the Year Award - Orasay, London
- Newcomer Award - Barge East, London
- Pub and Bar Award - Joe Calvey, Tim Foster and Anthony Pender, The Yummy Pub Co
- Public Sector Award - Alison Shedlock, the University of Manchester
- Restaurateur of the Year – Group - Philip Eeles, Tom Barton and Dorian Waite, Honest Burgers
- Restaurateur of the Year – Independent - Gary Usher, Elite Bistros
- Special Award - Angela Hartnett
- Sustainable Business Award - Whatley Manor, Wiltshire
- Wine and Spirit Ambassador Award - Eric Zwiebel, Summer Lodge Country House, Dorset
So, once again, congratulations to all winners! It's wonderful to see the Cateys 2021 recognise and reward the stars of the industry. Above all, it's where we celebrate our most memorable life moments. So, if you want to be part of an industry that rewards its employees and recognises their dedication, head to our job posting! You'll find thousands of hospitality vacancies and much more.