Kids Can Cook Pancakes
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2021 by Ivan Mackenzie — No comments
Are you looking for a pancake recipe kids can enjoy for pancake day? This is a fun way to make colourful pancakes with kids. So, it's time to get colourful, crafty and a little messy with your kids as you make a pancake together.
This pancake recipe is a kid-friendly, they can mix the ingredients together and the adult(s) will have to give some instruction on pancake flipping. This is a great recipe to get your kids involved with for preparing the pancakes. You will be building skills and cooking competence while also making family memories.
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons butter (melted)
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt). Hollow out a place in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe container (Set at low power for 20 seconds. It's OK if it is not completely melted.)
- Pour the butter, milk, egg, and vanilla in centre of dry ingredients.
- Using an electric mixer, with adult supervision, mix on low until all ingredients are well mixed. Use a spoon to scrape the remaining flour from the side of the bowl
- Spray the pan with cooking spray
- Fill a ladle half full with batter and slowly pour it on a pan. Repeat, leaving plenty of space between pancakes for easy flipping. When pancakes are filled with small bubbles, gently slide a spatula under the pancake and flip (See below Mix-ins)
- Cook for another 30 to 45 seconds and use spatula to lift off the pan
- Serve the pancakes with your choice (See below toppings list)
Pancake Mix-ins for Kids
After pouring pancake batter onto the hot pan, sprinkle a small handful of one of these tasty mix-ins over the pancakes before flipping them.
- Mini chocolate chips
- Fresh blueberries
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Mini M&M’s
- Slices of apple, peach or banana
Pancake Toppings Kids Will Love
Young cooks who are not old enough to work at a hot pan don’t have to miss out on the fun. Add a bunch of these great pancake toppings on your table and let each kid turn their pancakes into a work of art.
- Fresh fruit, like strawberries, blueberries, bananas, raspberries and orange slices
- Rainbow sprinkles, mini chocolate chips or M&M’s
- Chopped nuts, sunflower seeds and/or toasted coconut
- Whipped cream, butter, icing sugar and/or maple syrup
- Chocolate and caramel sauce