Visitor Services Supervisor – Food and Beverage/Catering
- Job Reference: 00009294-1
- Date Posted: 3 August 2022
- Recruiter: Eden Scott
- Location: Glenfinnan
- Salary: On Application
- Bonus/Benefits: £24,252 – £25,877 per annum with significant company benefits.
- Sector: Chefs - All Levels, Contract Catering, Temp, Interim & Seasonal, Restaurant
- Job Type: Permanent
Eden Scott is delighted to be working with the National Trust for Scotland, a charity established in 1931, to provide access and enjoyment to the properties, places and collections in its care. They also exist to protect what they look after for future generations to enjoy; and increasingly they are keen to act as a strong conservation voice for heritage and climate change response across Scotland.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the team at the Trust as Visitor Services Supervisor – Food and Beverage.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work as part of their leadership team at the iconic Glenfinnan Monument and its Visitor Centre, which attracts hundreds of thousands of people from across the globe every year.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day catering operations at their popular Viaduct View and Monument View takeaway cafes. You will deliver their quality standards and performance targets, ensuring we offer customers a fantastic Food & Beverage experience.
You will be an enthusiastic team player who can supervise, coach and motivate their team. You will also be part of a broader duty management team responsible for promoting good communication across the site and a joined-up visitor services provision.
As a charity, every penny we raise goes back into the National Trust for Scotland’s conservation work, caring for this special place. You will lead by example to produce an enticing Food & Beverage menu, to recommend and upsell their range, and to promote complementary income-streams like retail, memberships and donations. You’ll help answer visitors’ questions about things to do here and share their enthusiasm for Glenfinnan’s stories, the work we do and what their money is funding.
Key responsibilities of the role:
• Lead with menu development and the preparation, cooking and presentation of a high-quality food and drink offer.
• Ensure compliance with health and safety, food hygiene, food allergen, licensing and environmental health standards, completing all related record-keeping.
• Accountable for cost-effective stock management, ordering, storage and wastage control.
• Offer excellent customer service and ensure all members of the catering team do the same.
• Support property-wide targets for completion of visitor surveys to understand more about their visitors.
• Act as one of their duty manager team, responsible for ensuring a safe and smooth visitor operation, opening/closing the visitor centre, addressing issues and emergency procedure and providing relief cover, as required.
• Supervise the activities of a team of permanent and seasonal Visitor Service Assistants (VSAs), achieving excellent staff performance and motivation through effective induction, training, task-setting and coaching on front and back-of-house routines.
• Prepare catering rotas and holiday allocation to meet business needs.
• Work closely with specialist advisory colleagues, i.e. their Trust-wide Catering Development team.
• Share responsibility for achieving an F&B budget of around £350,000 a year.
• Monitor commercial performance and adjust activities to capitalize on sales opportunities and run a cost-effective catering operation.
• Supervise daily café till operations and perform end-of-day income reconciliation as a duty manager.
• Assist the F&B Manager with menu costing and stock-taking.
Key skills and experience required:
Hands on’ working in a busy catering and sales environment, ideally in a visitor attraction setting or café.
Excellent leadership and influencing skills, supervising and supporting staff on a daily basis
Enthusiasm for preparing and serving high quality food and drink
Passion for and ability to demonstrate the exceptional customer service required of all staff
Confident communication skills (written and spoken)
Computer literacy and familiar with Microsoft software
Experience with cash handling, monitoring and interpreting financial data
Strong time management and organisation skills
Ability to be proactive and to take initiative
Understanding of and belief in the work of the National Trust for Scotland
This role offers an excellent competitive salary within a range of £24,252 – £25,877 per annum with significant company benefits.
Eden Scott are dealing exclusively with the Trust on this vacancy so to be considered for this exciting opportunity with a truly unique and best in class employer, please submit your CV online or to firstname.lastname@example.org and for an informal chat or to receive the full role information pack and job description please email or call Sally on 07776 662506.