Visitor Services Manager - Catering
- Job Reference: 00003495-1
- Date Posted: 30 September 2021
- Recruiter: The National Trust for Scotland
- Location: Gladstone's Land
- Salary: On Application
- Bonus/Benefits: £27,144-£30,023 per annum
- Sector: Chefs - All Levels, Contract Catering, Temp, Interim & Seasonal, Restaurant
- Job Type: Permanent
You will be responsible for the operational delivery of the café and self catering accommodation at Gladstone’s Land. Delivering performance standards and targets to ensure enjoyment of the property by visitors and members is maximised and key commercial, financial and development objectives are achieved to make the property fully sustainable. You will be part of a broader management team responsible for delivering an overall visitor service strategy, promoting good communication across the site and a joined up service provision.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Driving the cafe to achieve its financial targets, maximising income and profitability, using the Trust’s procedures and instructions. You will strive to be efficient and ensure cost effectiveness in all the work you do.
• You will work closely with the cluster visitor experience VSM and will be responsible for the visitor experience on a day to day basis when they are not present.
• Create a culture of ‘exceptional service, every time’. Delivering high standards of delivery and a consistently warm welcome within the cafe.
• You will ensure high standards of presentation across the property, you may have delegated tasks within other departments and you will understand and help deliver your overall property business plan.
• Taking responsibility for opening and closing and security of buildings as well as emergency procedure implementation, duty management and providing relief cover as required
• Staff and volunteers - (recruitment, induction, development, motivation, performance management) such that they are fully equipped and motivated to undertake their duties to the required Trust standards and that staffing budgets are adhered to;
• Instil a Health & Safety culture across the property, ensuring the team work within the property’s ‘Safe System of Work’ to reduce risk of incidents and accidents to volunteers, employees and visitors.
• Budgets - (setting, phasing, monitoring, reporting, pro-active and re-active adjustments together with the Operations Manager) to ensure that the finances are sustainable within the context of the wider property budgets;
Department specific – visitor services
• Managing visitor-related buildings and facilities (e.g. café, retail and admissions, self-catering accomodation).
• Ensuring that the longevity of the Trust’s buildings and fittings are maximised through appropriate maintenance and/or replacement regimes;
• To ensure that the property meets statutory and company requirements of Health and Safety, Food Safety and Environmental legislations and procedures including Waste Disposal and Allergens
• Adhering to the sale of alcohol legislation, being a Premises Manager.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
• NVQ3/BTEC/City & Guilds/HND/Degree or equivalent experience;
• Ability to work ‘hands-on’ – including in the kitchen/retail and admissions areas – alongside the team members, demonstrating the customer service skills required of all staff.
• Experience in a retail and sales environments
• Hold a valid and recognised SQA Licensing Qualification e.g. Scottish Personal License Holder's Certificate and Personal License;
• Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate or above;
• Current driving licence
This role is one for which the duties, responsibilities or accountabilities of the role require you to undertake a criminal records check, specifically a Basic Disclosure.
Skills, Experience & Knowledge
• Have direct experience of managing multi-strand visitor/commercial services in a hospitality, heritage or tourist-attraction context;
• Possess excellent communication skills (written and oral)
• Computer literacy with excellent ability on MS software;
• Excellent leadership and influencing skills;
• Excellent understanding of report writing and financial management;
• Well developed time management and organisation skills.
• Current First Aid certification (or willingness to train and use).
The Key Responsibilities, Scope of Job, and Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience & Knowledge reflect the requirements of the job at the time of issue. The Trust reserves the right to amend these with appropriate consultation and/or request the post-holder to undertake any activities that it believes to be reasonable within the broad scope of the job or his/her general abilities.