At The Westin London City we are looking for exceptional people to provide outstanding service to our guests and who put our people at the heart of everything we do.
The Exciting Opportunity
The Chief Steward reports into the Executive Chef and manages the daily kitchen utility operations and staff. Areas of responsibilities include dish room operations, night cleaning, back dock cleaning and maintenance, banquet plating and food running. This very important role supervises kitchen employees not actively engaged in cooking (e.g., stewards, pot wash, etc.). The role focuses on continually improving guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Duties will include the following:
- Ordering and managing necessary supplies. Ensuring workers have supplies, equipment, tools, and uniforms necessary to do their jobs.
- Scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others.
- Monitoring the inflow of ordered materials and the maintenance of current materials.
- Conducting china, glass and silver inventories.
- Controlling inventories of food, equipment, smallware, and liquor, and report shortages to designated personnel.
- Inspecting supplies, equipment, and work areas in order to ensure efficient service and conformance to standards.
- Investigating reports and follows-up on employee accidents.
- Managing all equipment, china, glass and silver (e.g., adequate clean supplies of each).
- Supervising employees' ability to follow loss prevention policies to prevent accidents and control costs.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensuring compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Informing and/or updating the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
What Are We Looking For?
To be considered for this role you will need:
- A pleasant, guest-focused demeanour.
- Flexibility and adaptable to different working conditions & hours.
- Good effective training & interpersonal skills.
- Previous extensive experience in in a similar role in 4/5 star hotels. Marriott experience is preferable but not necessary.
- Hospitality-related degree or diploma desirable.
N.B. we are expecting high volumes of applications for this role and additional screening questions have been included in the initial application process. We will not be accepting applications made by direct email, messages on LinkedIn or unsolicited CV's via recruiters/agency.
Where Will You Be Working?
The Westin London City Hotel & Residences will be a key part of the redevelopment of the former Queensbridge House site, as well as an independently operated destination restaurant. The site stretches from Queenhithe Dock - the oldest in London - and runs north to south, bridging across Upper Thames Street and giving it a prominent position over one of the primary arterial routes through the City of London. Highly visible from the South Bank, the hotel will also benefit from panoramic views over the River Thames and will complete the northern riverbank walkway between the Tower of London and Millennium Bridge.
The hotel will be the first under Marriott's Westin brand in the UK. The hotel's 222 guest rooms, including 10 suites and Presidential Suite, are designed to offer guests a nature-inspired respite in the centre of a bustling city, expertly balancing a calming palette of natural colours with contrasting tones, textures and materials. The development also includes a fitness and leisure suite, conference facilities, plus a restaurant and wine bar with spectacular views over the River Thames.
The hotel will feature an indoor swimming pool, idyllic 375m² spa and WestinWORKOUT® fitness studio with state-of-the-art TRX® exercise equipment. In addition, 830m² of ultra-modern meeting and event space will be available, including a Junior Ballroom and four meeting rooms, as well as a 24-hour business centre.
What's In It For You?
People love to work with RBH because
- We focus on health, wellbeing and our communities
- Our people are truly engaged at work
- There's open, clear communication from the top
- We've got great career development opportunities
- There's a culture of transformation and innovation
We will give you a competitive salary and opportunities to learn new skills and grow your career. You will have access to a benefits package that includes;
- Everyday discounts from high street retailers
- Opportunities to be involved in charity and community events
- Career opportunities, training and help with course fees
- Discounted hotel room rates for you AND your friends and family that will make you really popular!
- Incentive programmes
- Flexible working arrangements because we know your life comes first
- Healthcare plans and Insurance plans (just in case)
The Bigger Picture
The Westin London City is managed by RBH; an independent hotel management company, working in partnership with six of the most prestigious hotel brands including IHG, Hilton, Starwood, Accor, Marriott and Wyndham. At RBH we stand out from our peers, transforming hotels to perform exceptionally.
So if you have the ambition to continuously improve, deliver results with excellence, show that you care and act with integrity then come and join us, this is just the job for you!